Molds are simple microscopic organism which we come in contact daily as we carry our activities of daily living. Mold reproduces by spore production. The spores are airborne particles can land on your skin, pets, furniture, food almost anywhere the air movement takes them. When these particles come in contact with damp and moist surface they begin to grow and multiply. Dirt and food residues are a food source for mold to grow.
You can’t eliminate all the mold spores from your house. Not all molds are harmful. But some are very harmful to human and pets. Few molds can produce toxic elements like mycotoxin, volatile organic compounds. This type of toxic mold can be fatal to children, old people, jaundice patients, people with weak immune system, cancer patients, patients going with chemotherapy, HIV patients, etc.
If mold is present in your house and you are inhaling mold spores for a long time then you can have some health problems such as cough, runny eyes and nose, throat irritation, nausea, headache, skin irruptions, joint pain, hair loss, memory loss, bronchitis, hearing problem, brain damage or even cancer.
There are few reasons that can cause mold to grow in your house such as plumbing leakage, roof leakage, damp basement, damp and unused attic, improper ventilation in house, dirt present in floor or carpet, high flood area, etc.
To prevent mold from growing in your house follow some steps. Repair every leak like plumbing leaks, roof leaks, basement leaks etc. Make the humidity level 50% in your home. To control humidity you can use dehumidifier. Use exhaust fan in the kitchen. Use vent fan each time after you shower. After bathing wipe down the bathroom’s wall and floor and open up the window. Clean the kitchen regularly. Make a regular check up for damp spot in basement and attic. Molds have a musty smell so check for moldy smell in your house.
If you notice any mold growth or notice any musty smell in your house call your mold removal contractor.